Jewelry is always a great way to add a touch of elegance to any outfit. When it comes to statement pieces, nothing beats the timeless beauty of onyx jewelry. Onyx is a mineral that has been used for jewelry making for centuries, prized for its deep black color and striking appearance. Whether you’re looking for a simple pair of earrings, a delicate necklace, or a bold statement piece, onyx jewelry is the perfect choice to add some power and sophistication to your look. In this article, we’ll explore the different types of onyx, its history and uses, and how to incorporate onyx jewelry into your wardrobe.
What is Onyx?
Onyx is a chalcedony mineral, which means it is a type of quartz that is microcrystalline – meaning the crystals are so small that they cannot be seen with the naked eye. It ranges in color from black to white, as well as shades of grey. The black color of onyx comes from the presence of iron and carbon, while the white and grey onyx have a much more subdued color palette.
Onyx can be found all over the world, including in countries such as the United States, Mexico, Argentina, Peru, Brazil, and Italy, where it has been mined for centuries. Ancient Greeks and Romans used onyx for carving cameos and intaglios, which are intricate designs carved into the stone.
Types of Onyx
There are many different types of onyx, with black onyx being the most popular for jewelry-making. Other types of onyx include:
1. Sardonyx: This type of onyx has bands of red and white, and is often used for cameos and intaglios.
2. Green Onyx: This type of onyx ranges in color from light green to dark green, and is often used for carving figurines and as a decorative stone in architecture.
3. Blue Onyx: A rare type of onyx that ranges in color from light blue to a rich navy. It is often used for unique and eye-catching statement pieces.
Uses of Onyx in History
Onyx has been used for thousands of years for a variety of reasons. In Ancient Rome, onyx was used for signet rings, protective amulets, and even to line the floors of grand buildings. The Greeks and Romans also used onyx for carvings and engraving, with some of the most famous examples being the intricate designs found on the walls of the Taj Mahal.
In medieval times, onyx was thought to have protective properties – with some even believing it was a magical stone that could protect against nightmares and evil spirits. It was also thought to bring luck and prosperity to those who wore it.
Today, onyx is still widely used for jewelry-making due to its timeless beauty and sophistication. It is often incorporated into statement pieces, such as rings, necklaces, and bracelets, as well as earrings and pendants.
Incorporating Onyx Jewelry into Your Look
Onyx jewelry is incredibly versatile and can be used to dress up any outfit. Here are some tips for incorporating onyx jewelry into your wardrobe:
1. Pair with Neutral Outfits: Onyx looks best when paired with neutral colors such as black, white, and grey. For a classic look, pair a black onyx necklace with a white blouse and black trousers.
2. Mix and Match: Onyx pairs well with other metals such as gold and silver. Mix and match your jewelry to create an interesting and unique look.
3. Keep it Simple: Onyx jewelry is perfect for adding a touch of sophistication to a simple outfit. Pair a delicate onyx necklace with a basic t-shirt and jeans for a chic and modern look.
4. Choose the Right Style: Onyx jewelry comes in a variety of styles, so choosing the right one for your outfit is important. For a classic look, go for simple and elegant pieces such as stud earrings or a dainty pendant. For a bolder statement, opt for chunky bracelets or statement necklaces.
5. Consider the occasion: When choosing your onyx jewelry, consider the occasion you will be wearing it to. A simple pendant necklace may be perfect for a daytime event, while a bold statement piece may be more appropriate for an evening event.
The Benefits of Onyx Jewelry
Aside from its beautiful appearance, onyx has several other benefits when used for jewelry:
1. Protective Properties: As previously mentioned, onyx has been thought to have protective properties for centuries. It is thought to protect against negative energy and bad vibes, making it an excellent stone to wear for protection.
2. Boosts Self-confidence: Onyx is believed to give the wearer courage and self-confidence, making it an excellent choice for those seeking to boost their confidence levels.
3. Promotes Focus: Onyx is thought to help regulate emotions and promote focus, making it an excellent stone for those seeking to improve their concentration and focus.
Onyx jewelry has been used for centuries thanks to its timeless beauty and striking appearance. Whether you’re looking for a simple pair of studs or a bold statement piece, onyx jewelry is a great choice for adding some sophistication and elegance to your outfit. With its protective properties and ability to promote self-confidence and focus, onyx jewelry is not only beautiful but also has several other benefits that make it the perfect choice for anyone seeking to add some power and energy to their look.